The Sport (Development, Coaching and Fitness) BTEC Level 3 Diploma aims to develop a range of skills, techniques, personal qualities and attitudes essential for career development in sport specific employment. The qualification is vocationally based with a combination of practical activities underpinned with theoretical study, giving you a good mix of earning environments and real life learning experiences.
You will study a wide range of sport related units covering a broad range of aspects such as coaching, psychology, nutrition, working with children and fitness testing and training. The BTEC National Diploma will enable you to progress into employment, apprenticeships or go into Higher Education . You’ll develop a range of skills through compulsory units which will include:
- Principles of Anatomy and Physiology in Sport
- Physiology of Fitness
- Assessing Risk in Sport
- Fitness training, programming and testing
- Sports Development
- Practical sport (team and individual)
- Sports coaching
There are also a selection of optional units including: Nutrition, Leadership, Health and Lifestyle, Psychology, Current Issues, Sports Injuries, Sports Massage and Sports Legacy. All students will have the opportunity to complete a Work Experience placement. Individualised sport pathways are possible. Talk to us about different combinations.
What We Add
- Outstanding facilities, equipment and technology, including access to brand-new indoor/outdoor sporting and fitness facilities at Barnards Centre Point and Waterlane Leisure Centre.
- Wide range of sports options available as enrichment activities including football, rugby, cricket, netball, badminton, basketball and many more. Students will be able to participate in College sports teams, playing other colleges in the region.
- Visits to sports venues guest speakers and work experience in the sports industry are available.
You will need to meet the standard college entry criteria for BTEC level 3 qualifications.
After Sixth Form
- Progress directly into employment in areas such as the leisure industry, coaching and fitness work
- Use your BTEC Level 3 as an access route to an apprenticeship within a sporting field
- Combine your BTEC Diploma with other subjects you could enter into Higher Education, to study teaching, health & fitness, sports/leisure
- Management, sports development, sports therapy, nutrition or sports science