Special Education Needs and Disabilities Support

At Lowestoft Sixth Form College, everyone should have the same opportunities to achieve their potential, regardless of their needs.

What can I get support for?

Whether you are coming to our college to study for A levels, a BTEC or GCSEs, we can support a wide range of needs, including:

  • Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, and Dyspraxia
  • Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
  • Mental Health Difficulties
  • Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
  • Sensory Impairment
  • Physical Disabilities and Medical Conditions

What sort of support can the college offer?

We can offer a range of support, suitable to your needs, including:

  • Support at interview (to help understand your needs and what help you may need)
  • Transition arrangements
  • Assistive technology (eg, laptops with specialist software, dictaphones, etc)
  • In-class support
  • Mobility support
  • Personal care
  • Note taking
  • Communication support
  • Wellbeing and counselling
  • Modification of learning materials
  • Exam access arrangements
  • Advice and guidance on applying for Disabled Students Allowance (DSA)
  • Independent careers advice and guidance

What do I do if I have an EHCP?

If you hold an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP), please let us know and we will discuss with you the needs and support required. We may also make contact with the County Council who have issued the EHCP to better understand the needs and support.

How can I get in touch?

Call 01502 537000

Email sendsupport@eastcoast.ac.uk

In-person: Staff are available on-site who can discuss your needs and support in person just call to arrange an appointment

What is the Local Offer?

Local Authorities produce a Local Offer to give children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities and their parents and carers information about what support services there are available in their local area.

Lowestoft Sixth Form College (part of East Coast College) is listed as an educational provider on both Local Offers for Suffolk and Norfolk County Councils and you can find more information here:

View the local send offer with Norfolk County Council

View the local send ovffer with Suffolk County Council