About The Course
Do you want to develop your imagination and creativity? Do you have an inquiring mind about ideas, techniques, the work of others and the world you live in?
A Level Art and Design will encourage you to develop your creative, imaginative and intellectual powers. You will expand your knowledge and understanding of Art and Design practices in contemporary society and in different historical contexts, themes and cultures. You will explore and produce practical and critical/contextual work in multiple art-based disciplines, including: drawing, painting, printing, sculpture, craft, collage, mixed media, photography and more.
To be successful at A Level Art and Design you will need to be able to:
- Think creatively and develop personal ideas
- Work independently and be a reflective learner
- Draw using traditional media (pencil/pen/ink) to a high standard
- Carry out in-depth research and write about your findings
- Be interested in learning about how to ‘read’ and analyse artworks and imagery
- Present work through sketchbook presentation
What We Add
You will benefit from being taught by professional tutors in a purpose-built art department, complete with photographic studio, Mac suite, Nikon SLR cameras and Adobe editing software. You will learn how to manage your time effectively and work independently in preparation for further study. There will also be opportunities to visit various galleries and take part in field trips to record and see world-class art work.
How Can I Standout With Art and Design?
Art and Design is the perfect course if you want to go on to study subjects such as fine art, graphic design, illustration, 3D design, fashion and textiles, photography, film, animation or architecture at university. It is also very suitable for those who wish to progress to art foundation courses after their A Level completion.
- Must meet overall entry criteria for A Level study
- Grade 5 in GCSE Art, Photography, Textiles or BTEC equivalent
- Owning a range of personal art materials to use outside of college is ideal and key for success
- You will be required to present an art portfolio at enrolment