About the course…
This exciting course will demystify the magic of computer systems’ hardware and software, providing you with a good understanding of the current issues facing computer scientists and the computing industry.
You will be introduced to the internal workings of the central processing unit, learn how data is exchanged, find out how to create software, develop your knowledge of data types and explore legal and ethical issues.
You will also develop your problem-solving and computational thinking skills, as well as the ability to develop algorithms to describe and solve problems. You will demonstrate your practical abilities through completing a programming project that is chosen by you.
Why study with us…
- You will have access to high specification computing classrooms, equipped with a range of devices to assist your learning.
- This course offers many exciting opportunities, including trips, master classes, seminars and guest speakers.
- We encourage our students to take part in a variety of coding competitions, including the in-house Lowestoft Sixth Form College Programming Contest.
Where Computer Science can take you…
Computer Science is an excellent base for a university degree in the vast field of computing. You could choose to study computer science, business information systems, network engineering, computer games development or cyber security, as well as more traditional degree subjects such as maths or economics, where problem solving skills will be highly valued.
You will also be well-placed to apply for a degree apprenticeship.
- Must meet overall entry criteria for A Level study
- You will need a minimum grade 6 in GCSE Maths
- You will need a strong interest in technology and the ability to use logical thinking to problem-solve