About The Course
Do you enjoy both maths and the social sciences? Do you like problem-solving, logical thinking and analysing numbers?
Economics is an exciting and highly topical subject which analyses issues that grab the headlines. At the centre of the subject is the question of how we divide up our scarce resources, and how those decisions affect us all. You will develop an understanding of economic concepts and theories through a critical examination of current economic issues, problems and institutions that affect your everyday life.
You will learn how to apply those concepts and theories in a range of contexts, and to appreciate their values and limitations in explaining real world phenomena. You will also learn how to analyse, explain and evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the market economy and the role of the government within it.
Some of the topics you will study include:
- Individuals, firms, markets and market failure
- Individual economic decision making
- Price determination in a competitive market
- Production, costs and revenue
- Perfect competition, imperfectly competitive markets and monopoly
- The distribution of income and wealth: poverty and inequality
- The national and international economy
- How the macro economy works
What We Add
Whilst studying this course, you will have the opportunity to visit financial institutions in the UK. You will be able to attend conferences and have the chance to hear from excellent guest speakers.
How Can I Standout With Economics?
All universities appreciate how valuable A Level Economics is as a subject. Those who have a good understanding of the economy will find rewarding occupations in banks and financial institutions, manufacturing and service companies, the media, government and international organisations.
- Must meet overall entry criteria for A Level study
- You will need a minimum grade 5 in GCSE Maths