About the course…
Whether you enjoy taking photographs for fun, for keepsake memories, or because you love the technical aspects of how a camera works, then A Level Photography is the course for you.
Studying A Level Photography will encourage you to expand your knowledge and understanding of photographic techniques and the weird and wonderful history of photography, all while giving you the opportunity to explore personal ideas through keeping a sketchbook to record your learning.
You will explore and produce practical work in multiple photographic and arts-based disciplines, including camera-less image making, light-painting, printing, photographic sculpture, craft, collage and mixed media.
To be successful, you will need to be able to:
- Think independently, creatively and develop personal ideas
- Carry out in-depth research and write about your findings
- Be interested in learning about how to ‘read’ and analyse photographs
- Be energetic and willing to try without worrying about failure – this is the fun part!
What we add…
- You will benefit from being taught by professional tutors in a purpose-built art department, complete with a photographic studio, Mac suite, Nikon SLR cameras and Adobe editing software.
- We offer the exciting opportunity of an overseas residential trip. Previous destinations include Amsterdam, Berlin, Paris and Prague.
- Your course will end with an exhibition, which looks fantastic on your CV and gives you the opportunity to celebrate all the brilliant images you have created along with your classmates.
Where Photography can take you…
Photography is an excellent course if you want to go on to study a degree in such subjects as fine art, graphic design, 3D design, fashion and textiles, fashion buying and merchandising, photography, marketing and illustration.
Many people go on to use photography within their chosen field of work – this can range from forensics photography through to commercial studio photography. Other career routes may be geared towards marketing, branding and even teaching.
- Must meet overall entry criteria for A Level study
- Grade 5 in GCSE Art, Photography, Textiles, Graphics or BTEC equivalent (or a successful portfolio at enrolment)
- You will be required to present an art portfolio at enrolment